Monday, April 12, 2010

Bye Bye Africa



Sorry for the delay in posting, but clearly I'm okay even after the shark dive. The reality is that on the first trip we couldn't get into the cages because the ocean swell was too high and it would have been dangerous. Plus we only saw one shark. So they gave us a voucher to return another day. I decided to go back on Tuesday and am very glad that I did. I saw 4 sharks cross to within 4 feet of my face and despite the freezing cold water my heart was racing. Unfortunately film doesn't do the experience much justice but I did get one decent pic.

After Capetown (which is a marvelous city and highly recommended!) we flew into Joberg airport and then drove up to Kruger. We hadn't planned out the route that well and didn't realize that we couldn't enter the park after 6PM so we had to stay a night in Nelspruit. Despite it only having 250K residents, it has an amazing soccer stadium built for the world cup. And I had the best steak ever (outside of Argentina of course) at a very trendy upscale restaurant with a view of the city.

We arrived to Kruger by 10AM the next morning and within 8 hours we had spotted the Big 5 (rhino, elephant, buffalo, lion and leopard). We drove (albeit illegally) at 6:15PM and spotted a leopard on the side of road just walking. Such good luck! The next few days were spent hiking, "safarying" and eating well. A very different safari than East Africa because you are allowed to drive around yourself on paved roads, but still very enjoyable. And I now have some fabulous photos of animals up close.

I leave in a few hours for Singapore! I'll miss South Africa (and have to post my random musings still...there's quite a few!).

No comments:

Post a Comment