Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Peak Performance





Based on what I heard, I wanted to step up to the challenge of Mount Kinabalu and climb the big imposing mountain (6 hour trek on day 1, overnight at base camp and then 4 hour summit starting at 2AM to see sunrise) while in Malaysia. The flight to Kuta Kinabalu (“KK”) was a quick 3 hours and only $100US from Singapore (regional Asia air travel is now very affordable). I settled in on a rainy day and prepared for the climb the next day (since I knew I was traveling to all tropical locations I didn’t pack much in the way of winter/warm gear).

I met some really cool English youngins – twins and their sister and a Canadian guy just at the entrance and we decided to hike it together. The process is fairly grueling since it is like non-stop stair climbing for 6 hours (well, maybe a few breaks along the way). We all bonded throughout the experience and despite the shitty accommodations, lack of sleep and the physical pain it was such a pleasant experience and we all ribbed each other endlessly (reminded me of all my other friends). We had to start the summit at 2AM after hardly sleeping a wink and of course the weather is much cooler up in the mountains. Our group was one of the first to reach the summit and we were blessed with a gorgeous sunrise. The trek down was almost equally difficult (just ask my ankles and knees) but the euphoria of the summit carries you down a bit quicker. I slept the rest of the time in KK and stayed at an amazing hotel called Eden 54 with the sweetest hotel owners in the world!

Next was a transit stop in Singapore and then off to Bali, Indonesia.

No comments:

Post a Comment