Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Argentina Bella

Wow...I officially love Buenos Aires. Amazing architecture, good city design, beautiful people, excellent food, fun nightlife and interesting culture. What more could you want?

While I did some of the tourist stuff in BA (I had been before in 2002 so didn't feel it necessary to do too much), my real joys came from cutting into the tenderest pieces of steak I've had since 2002, strolling down Palermo Viejo streets window shopping (and occasionally entering to test the strength of the dollar ;)), or just interacting with locals.

For example I met a really cool guy named Martin Gonzalez (no relation...that we're aware of!) at the airport when we both couldn't pull out cash from the ATM. I later met up with him and his friends and I taught them how to drink Mezcal before we went out for some empanadas and beer. Another encounter at a spa led me to a dinner invitation from the owners at a special art exhibit/culinary experience (very weird actually...I don't recommend The Pale Blue Door if you ever get invited).

I actually delayed my trip to S Africa just a couple of days to spend the weekend in Buenos Aires (and will have to go back when there is a Boca Jrs v River Plate game!).

Some Random Argentina Musings:

1. So many dogs. Which I'm a fan of; except in this town very few owners actually pick up after them. So just walking down the sidewalks you have to constantly look down to avoid turd piles. So gross...and I just didn't get why it was such a burden to pick up after your dog poop. Then I was told that every building tenant/owner is responsible for the sidewalk outside of their home/business so I guess dog owners just pass the buck.

2. Despite mate being the national drink (and you really do see it everywhere with the silver straws), you can't actually buy it anywhere. Several people explained that it's because everyone makes their mate differently, but I couldn't help thinking, how has a Starbucks-type of store not found a market for making mate?? And I actually never had any this trip (last time I was here we got invited by a family to have mate at their house).

I'm writing this from my hotel room in Johannesburg, South Africa after a long flight following very little sleep. But I should have some cool photos up soon for South Africa and will happily share with my growing number of followers ;)!

No comments:

Post a Comment