Thursday, March 11, 2010

Iguassu Falls

Iguassu Falls, for those not in the know, is a incredible set of natural waterfalls located on the border of Brasil, Argentina and Paraguay. In the guide book it quotes Eleanor Roosevelt as saying that Iguassu makes Niagra look like a kitchen faucet.

Oscar and I had to do a rapid tour since our flight landed on the Brazil side at 2AM and I had a flight out from the Argentina side at 5PM. We woke up around 7AM from a call from the receptionist saying that he found us a cab that would take us to Brasil falls, Argentina falls, Argentina airport, Brasil airport...but we had to start at 8:30AM to get it all in. We did...and it was spectacular. Pictures can't capture the sound and the feeling of being so close to these powerful falls (remember the movie "The Mission"? it was filmed here), but below are a few.

A couple of notes from the trip: (1) the food on the Argentina side was the best meat we had all trip. Sorry if I offend any Brasilians, but their food does not compare to Argentine food which has undoubtedly earned its reputation as the best steak in the world; (2) poor Oscar who later recounted to me that his flight from Iguassu was delayed and he had to sprint in the airport to make his connection flight back from SP to Dallas. We had a miserable time dealing with TAM airlines...and it reinforces the experiences I had with Brasilian airlines when I was trying to fly out of Olinda. Which reminds me...my next post (now that I'm out of Brasil) will include my "random musings" for the country.

Enjoy the pics...one day they'll be hanging on my wall!! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment